Submitted by Mr. Gerald E. "Gene" Zimmerman (AFHRA microfilm records of the 301st ASG)
The 301st Air Base Group was activated 9 February 1942 at Selfridge Field Air Base, Selfridge Field, Michigan. Consisting of Headquarters and Headquarter Squadron and the 319th Material Squadron. 1st Lt. Glen A. McFeters in command. Redesignated the 301st Service Group 13 June 1942. 319th Material Squadron redesignated the 319th Service Squadron 13 June 1942. 326th Material Squadron, 308th Air Base Group activated 10 February 1942. Redesignated 326th Service Squadron 13 June 1942. 326th Service Squadron transferred 9 July 1942 from the 308th Service Group to the 301st Service Group. 1752nd Quartermaster Company MM (AVN) activated 26 August 1942 redesignated 1752nd Ordnance Company MM (AVN) 12 September 1942. 1753d Quartermaster Company MM (AVN) activated 26 August 1942. Redesignated 1753d Ordnance Company MM (AVN) 12 September 1942. 814th Ordnance Company (AVN) activated 26 August 1942. Redesignated 1083d Ordnance Company (AVN) 1 December 1942. 773d Quartermaster Company (TRK) assigned to 301st Service Group 15 August 1942. 1905th Quartermaster Company truck (AVN) activated 8 October 1942. 86th Signal Service Company added to 301st Service Group 30 October 1942. 153d Quartermaster Company Service Group, Bradley field, Windsor Locks, Connecticut assigned to 301st Service Group 21 November 1942. 301st Service Group transferred to Syracuse Army Air Base, Syracuse, N.Y. 20 November 1942. Arrived at Syracuse Army Air Base in the dead of winter. 15 inches of snow on ground and temperatures of 15 - 20 degrees below zero to contend with. 7 January 1943 Col Leslie P. Holcomb arrived at Syracuse Army Air Base and assumed command. 18 January 1943 301st Service Group departed from Syracuse Army Air Base to Ft. Dix Service Unit Training Center, Ft. Dix, N.J. 6 March 1943 orders received for shipment of all OEL and other equipment (not including vehicles and housekeeping equipment) to the Los Angeles sub port of embarkation, Wilmington, CA. 9 March 1942 Maj. William A. Trolan arrived and was appointed Group Executive Officer. 5 May 1943 the New York port of embarkation relieved the 301st Service Group from duty and assignment with the Air Service Command and placed it under their jurisdiction and became shipment number 5864 A to J inclusive. 7 July 1943 order received by the group directing it to depart Ft. Dix on 9 July 1943 for pier 15 Staten Island Terminal, New York. Departed 9 July 1943 by train for New York. Arrived 8:00 PM and was transshipped by ferry to Staten island. At 1420 hours 10 July 1943 the U.S.S. West point departed from New York City for India with 8200 service men, nurses and Red Cross workers. 19 July 1943 crossed the equator and most observed the King Neptune ritual. 22 July 1943 arrived Rio de Janeiro, South America. Ship was refueled and restocked with supplies. 23 July 1943 the U.S.S. West Point departed from Rio de Janeiro, South America. 31 July 1943 arrived at Cape Town, South Africa. Ship was refueled and restocked with supplies. At 08301 August 1943 departed from Cape Town, South Africa. After leaving Cape Town and going around the tip of South Africa hit a big blinding snow storm. 12 August 1943 arrived at Bombay, India and last leg of a thirteen thousand mile trip covering 31 days. What a sight to see, filth, dirty, unbelievable stench, etc. At 2400 hours 13 August 1943 troops departed ship and arrived at the British Army Base Deoi-Ali, India at 05301 4 August 1943. A new education was forced upon our group. British army rations which included water buffalo as the meat item with the hide still on the meat with hair bristles thru the skin. In addition it was the most unappetizing food that they had ever eaten. There was a British PX near by and the troops were able to survive by getting food items there plus our first taste of warm beer. 18 August 1943 the 1752nd Ordnance Company MM (AVN) departed for Chabua, India 18th August 1943 the 1083d Ordnance Company MM (AVN) (AB), the 1083d Signal Company Service Group and the 1961st Quartermaster Company TRK (AVN) departed for Calcutta, India 19 August 1943 the balance of the 301st Service Group departed for Lalmanir Hat, India arriving 25 August 1943. The 1083d Ordnance Company (AVN) (AB), the 1083d Signal Company (Service Group) and the 1961st Quartermaster Company TRK (AVN) reached their Calcutta destination about 20 miles out of Calcutta. The 1083d Ordnance Company (AVN) (AB) were assigned to a supply depot. The work week was on a seven day work week basis. Supplies were picked up at the Calcutta docks put into storage and shipped out to various units as needed. Calcutta was the slum capital of the British empire. A large famine existed and people by the thousands died every day. 6 October 1943 the 1083d Ordnance Company (AVN) (AB) was disbanded and the company personnel was divided equally between the 1752nd Ordnance Company MM (AVN) Chabua, India and the 1753d Ordnance Company MM (AVN) Lalmanir Hat, India. 6 December 1943 the 1752nd Ordnance Company (AVN) (AB) and the 1753d Ordnance Company (AVN) (AB) departed for their new destinations. All units of the 301st Service Group set up their operations at Lalmanir Hat, India. Due to malaria outbreak a temporary hospital unit was formed and a Red Cross canteen was set up. Arrival of food supplies and other supplies created a problem when shipped by rail. All supplies received by rail had to be transshipped from wide gauge to narrow gauge railroads. A post exchange was established and a out door theater was also established. Airplanes began to arrive to be repaired and given 100 hour inspections, etc. 20th September 1943 the 1752nd and 1753d Ordnance Company MM (AVN) were redesignated the 1752nd and 1753d Ordnance Supply and Maintenance Company (AVN) the 1752nd Ordnance Supply and Maintenance Company (AVN) was relieved from assignment to the group. Too much friction was being generated in the group. Rigid soldiering was being placed over and above the output of work which was the prime objective of the group. 10 November 1943 Col Oliver A. Hess, IGD, and staff arrived from the Inspector General's office and began the first general inspection the group ever had. They recorded the complaints of over 300 officers and enlisted men. 3 December 1943 orders from HQ CBI ASG transferring Col. Holcomb and Lt. Col. Trolan to that headquarters. 6 December 1943 Col. George F. Hartman and Lt. Col. Clifford N. Braswell arrived from ASC headquarters and assumed command. A new policy of one day off each week was established and in addition company baseball teams were formed and games were played between companies. The Christmas holidays arrived with the arrival of 510 bags of Christmas packages. Christmas dinner consisted of turkey and all the trimmings. 9 January 1944 the 1st platoon of the 2050th Quartermaster Company (TRK) was attached. The 2050th Quartermaster Company (TRK) was activated 1 November 1942 in California. 23 January 1944 the 1106th Quartermaster Company (Service Group) moved to Tezpur, India located in the heart of the Assam Valley in India. 29 January 1944 the 319th Service Squadron moved to Tezpur, India 2 February 1945 the 1083d Signal Company (Service Group) moved to Tezpur, India. 5 February 1945 the 1753d Ordnance Supply and Maintenance Company moved to Tezpur, India 9 January 1945 Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron moved to Tezpur, India. 12 February 1945 the 326th Service Squadron moved to Tezpur, India. The 301st Service Group left a detachment of 86 servicemen at Lalmanir Hat, India. At that point the history of the 301st Service Group disappears from the archives of Air Force history.
301st Air Service Group
There were three units stationed at Tezpur: the 301st Air Service Group, a ATC Unit which was responsible for all air shipments going into China, and a bombardment group involved in actual bombing enemy targets in southwest Asia. The 301st Air Service Group Ordnance Company was responsible for all maintenance of all vehicles on the base, the armament section was responsible for inspection and maintenance of all weapons on the base and the ammunition section was responsible for the receipt of all ammunition and bombs which were later shipped to China. The two quartermaster truck units were responsible for all trucking needs. One quartermaster unit was responsible for the receipt and disbursement of all food items for the base. The two Service Squadrons were responsible for all service and repairs for all airplanes on the base or any other airplanes needing service. The Signal Service Group was responsible for all telephone and teletype service on the base. During 1944 the 1752nd Ordnance Supply & Maintenance Company rejoined the 301st Air Service Group and was stationed at Misamari a short distance from Tezpur. January 1945 the 1753d Ordnance Supply & Maintenance Company was dispatched to Sawmaw, Burma a 51st Fighter Group base in actual combat action. They were later assigned to the 52nd Air Service Group. They had units located at Warzup, Myitkyina and Bhamo in Burma when the war ended. At the conclusion of the war some units of the 301st Air Service Group returned to the good old USA arriving in New York City and others completing a trip around the world by arriving at Seattle, WA in late 1945 or early 1946. Submitted by
Gerald E. Zimmerman
Cottage Hills, IL